A quick synopsis of the Bill is as follows:
- Equine feed manufacturers will be assessed $2.00 per ton of feed that they sell to retailers. This will amount to less than $2.00 per year per horse. This fee will be submitted to the Equine Promotional Fund and will be administered by the Equine Promotion Board.
- Equine Promotion Board shall be established under the administration of the Department of Agriculture. The membership of the promotion board shall be composed of eleven members who have a direct association with the equine industry and operate and reside in this State. The members of the board shall be appointed as follows:
(2) Chairman of the Senate Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee shall appoint one member;
(3) Chairman of the House Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs Committee shall appoint one member;
(4) South Carolina Horsemen’s Council shall appoint one member;
(5) President of the South Carolina Farm Bureau shall appoint one member;
(6) The Director of SC Parks, Recreation and Tourism shall appoint one member;
(7) SC Veterinary Association shall appoint one member;
(8) Two at-large members with the appointment process being determined by the initial seven (7) appointees following the establishment of the Board;
3. The board members will serve staggered terms of 2, 3, and 4 years.
4. The funds collected shall be used for research, education and promotion for
the purpose of supporting the equine industry.
This Assessment has several key principles that differentiate it from a tax:
- Numerous equine owners and organizations are requesting this self-assessment (only of equine owners) to improve the equine industry in SC.
- These funds will not go into the general Treasury funds but rather into a special equine promotional fund that will be managed and distributed by a board of equine people.
- These funds will be used for the sole purpose of promoting and supporting the equine industry in SC. Other similar organizations exist to promote beef cattle, poultry producers, and other agricultural based products.
Please contact your legislative representatives and let them know you are in favor of this bill. It will be a very small amount for each of us to pay, but can do much for our industry. Thank you for your support. We can make a difference if we work together.
Legislative contacts can be found at:
http://www.scstatehouse.net/html-pages/housemembers.html or http://www.scstatehouse.net/html-pages/houseemail.html
Thank you for your support,
South Carolina Horsemen’s Council